Monday, January 16, 2006

Willing To See

I ended my last blog with this statement: “Can you truly defend a belief that has no evidence for existing therefore it is a belief that can come only by faith?” I would come back and say that I think this statement is only half true. Ultimately believing in Jesus Christ as the Son of God who came to earth and died to pay the price that our sin owed does come by faith. It is something I have no real proof for. However, when I read about what Jesus did I am compelled to wonder; “If this man really lived (which there historical evidence of) and really did the things written about him, then it seems compelling to say there might be reasons to believe in what he said.” Now I am not removing the faith element. I still believe that faith plays the strongest role in my relationship with Jesus but I can say that my faith has been confirmed by things I have experienced in my life. Again those are my own experiences and many would say that I choose to see things a certain way in order to confirm what I believe. Sometimes that might be true. But I have had things happen to me when I didn’t want them to or that I could not have created on my own that confirm my faith in a God that is real, alive, and active in my life. My faith believes in my God, Jesus Christ, but what has happened in my life reveals to me the truth and reality of my faith being real in the world around me.

3 comments:

pat said...

I and 100s of millions of others live life in the absence of faith and get along just fine. Why do you find it necessary to have faith and live your life by it? What's wrong with what you can observe? What's wrong with reason? What's wrong with reality?

David Best said...

pat, I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the things you mentioned. It's just that maybe the things of faith and the things of reality have more in common than we would like to imagine.

David Baxley said...

It might depend on how you define reality. If reality is only what you can touch then faith is not reality. But if reality is truth then faith and reality do work together. You don't have to see it for it to be true. You don't have to touch it for it to be reality. That reasoning would apply to many area of life if you would be honest with your self to see it.