Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Emerging Church Part 3

I would like to say one last thing. I am for just about everything I have read that the Emerging Church wants to do. And I agree with just about everything they see as problems in many of our Church’s today. I know at some point many feel they can’t make a difference any more and separation is the only option. I know some like the argument that we have already been separating for hundreds of years, what’s a little more? But I do believe Jesus’ words when he said:
Mark 3:24-25
24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

And when he said:
Matt 16:18
I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Both of Jesus' words will ring true for all time. I have been part of a church for 10 years that I have “wanted to leave” many times but how would that have been edifying to the body, God’s church? I want to see change. I want to see the church become a powerful tool in our communities and in our world. The more that I have these desire the more I see that we, as a community of believes, both in our local churches and the world, will be ultimately more effective and powerful if we are all fighting the same fight. It does take more time if one is gathering a larger army but I believe it is time spent well if we can look back and see a church that is fighting together instead of fighting against each other.

I would say to the Emerging Church, which I would consider myself emerging with; Emerge within our churches and lead those churches into a place were they are more of what God desires His church to be. Lead them don't leave them. Make leaving the last option not the first.

6 comments:

David Best said...

Congradulations, you've taken the first step to becoming Roman Catholic...not that that there's anything wrong with that. ; )

Anonymous said...

I'm all about the submerging church.

I think packing up and leaving has become a protestant tradition. Also, the emergent church won't be able to "do it right," when they are viewing the scripture through the lense of Western empiricism and existentialism. Many of them like to pretend like the bible has all the answers for how to do church and that those answers are clear to anyone who simply reads the text. Surprisingly, the bible says very little about the church.

Lastly, as you hinted at in your second post on the emerging church, a church that is built around the ideals and desires of a particular generation can expect to last just that long.

Really lastly, usually another term thrown around with emerging is revlevancy. I want to be relevant but it is the way in which to be relevant. Most see relevancy as a rock band worship or sermons that are more like short stories than lectures or whatever else is "pop" in our culture. I think relevancy should be in feeding the hungry, distributing clothing and finicial help to the poor, speaking up in favor of justice in the middle east, etc. This is relevant because it needs to be done and the church has followed society in not being faithful to the Law, the prophets, and the teachings of Jesus and the NT. Some one needs to be doing these things, and it offers the church an opportunity to be pioneers again. There was once a time that all cutting edge art, ideas, and science was produced out of Christian creativity. I think it is time to develop plans of social justice based on Christian creativity. For example, it is easy to go to war to get our way, but it takes creativity to figure out ways of making peace and I think the church is relevant for our society and the world on these issues.

Just some thoughts.

David Baxley said...

Honestly I don't believe that there is only one way to do that things and that that one is clearly shown in the bible but I do believing that leaving church communities has become a practice done way to easily by many. As ignorant as David’s Catholic comments keep sounding I can't help but ask what you think the heart of God feels when we divided our Christians communities based on personal preferences and desires.

David Best said...

I know what your aiming at here David, and I generally agree. Bad church splits are not cool, and definately break God's heart.

But doing things diferently, inpart on preference, but in the case of the emerging church, definately in part due to missional living, can be perfectly ok. Some are called to stay in their locationl, whatever that is, and others are called to leave. Sometimes being sent (positive), and other times quitely (negative). But whatever the reason, it should be done the 'right' way (whatever that is) and with 'right' motives.

Concerning my Catholic quips, by staying where you are, you are contributing to, and affirming a previous split, not that there's anything wrong with that. : )

Anonymous said...

I am stating the obvious, but I think should be said-where I worship is probably not where my grandmother will worship. Multiple churches aren't necessarily bad, as long as they do more than wave at each other across the street. If they can link arms together, then go ahead, pick a church by your choice. Even within the "one" church of Catholisism, there is a very broad spectrum of what the church looks like. And that's okay.

Anonymous said...

As I read about the emerging church, I often come away with more questions than answers...which fits very much with the ambiguousness that seems to be stereotypical with the emerging church.
I agree with the need to have a unified body, and have been disillusioned by the many divisions within the church (ie, "aren't happpy with your church? start one of your own!") and I think that the attention given to social issues is very important - we preach the "gospel" but don't live the "gospel". (Speaking of the Catholic church, I commend their attention to social issues! And I am hearing of more and more evangelicals converting to Catholicism, as stated in an earlier blog).
Which brings me to some of my questions in relation to the emerging church: What IS the gospel? Do emerging churches (individual or corporately) have a theological stance, or are they so focused on NOT being defined to actually have some definition? And, to speak in evangelical terms which may not have a place in the emerging church, are we seeing individuals coming to know Christ, "getting saved" to use a colloqualism? What IS the role of the Great Commission? Is it to preach the gospel, the "good news"?? What is the "Good News" if not Christ??