Friday, August 04, 2006

"Strange Sight"

Exodus 3:1-4

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight--why the bush does not burn up."

When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!"

And Moses said, "Here I am."

As I was reading these first few verses I noticed a phrase that I have never noticed before. The text says Moses saw the “strange sight” and then went over to look at it. Then it says that when God saw that Moses had gone to see the bush he called out to him. I wonder how many times God has tried this in my life. I tend to pride myself has someone who is always looking to see what God is trying to say to me. But if I was able to see my life from an out-siders view I wonder how many times I was not looking and God did something “strange” to get my attention. I have been so eager to claim to have a ear to God’s voice and maybe I do but yet still has I think back I am forced to recognized that ear was trained by God getting my attention from the “strange” things he was doing just to get my attention. WOW! It makes me feel a little more humble before my God and others and a lot more loved – I live under his Grace not my own deeds!

Oh one last note that must be recognized… God may do many strange things to get our attention but it is not until we say “Here I am” that the action really starts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that it is interesting that Moses was first contacted by a messenger from God. I think that, sometimes, we are so eager to hear THE voice of God that we miss the messenger.