Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Community Today - Part 2

Well I have been thinking and experiencing this small group/community thing more the past couple of weeks and I have found it to be a great biblical blessing. First it is so refreshing to know I will be able to spend regular time with other believer and share fun, laughs, and life together. In the business of life it can feel so superficial spending sperratic time with so many different people.

However I know some feel that Christians can create a little “holy huddle” when they just spend time together, maybe that is true, but I am finding it is only through this community that we can really live Christ in the world. Jesus even said in John 13:34-35,
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

First, for me, I really believe I must love my fellow believers first to be who Christ wants me to be in the world. Then through this community my desire would be to see the community being Christ in the world.

Also I have been looking at Acts and the early church. They were dealing with the issue of taking care of the poor and the widows. It appears that the disciples were focusing on taking care of the poor and widows that were believers. This was the first priority and then they would enter the rest of the community around them. In this small group I have already experience the taking care of each other and other believers through this small group community. Things I would have not have been able to do or been even informed of the need, have now becomes places were I can server other believers and take care of each other. I don’t have extra plot of land to sell but I have some time and skills and I desire to share those with my follow believers and even more I desire to learn what it means in Acts 2:43-44
All the believers were together and had everything in common.

4 comments:

David Best said...

interesting

David Baxley said...

ahh when you say "interesting" there is always soemething more...

Mx5 said...

I am enjoying the chronicling of your journey into "community". Back when you were still in high school, community seemed to be much easier I think. I specifically remember when you, and David Best, blessed me in an incredible way simply by visiting me in the hospital as I stayed with my 10 month old son who had undergone a nasty fall. Although I had quite a few visitors throughout the day, it really touched my heart that a couple of cool high school guys would take the time to check and see how my little one was doing. That, to me, was an incredible and memorable time of what I call real ministry!

You two are amazing - and I look forward to watching as God leads you both in your various ministries (official or not).

Anonymous said...

I want more blogging