Friday, May 09, 2008

The Expression of Worship

In the previous post I briefly described worship and sought to show a basic, starting point definition of worship. The discussion led itself toward the issue of music as a primary expression of worship in our churches. Al though I want to eventually discuss that more then I did in the previous posts discussion, right now I want to look at something else first.

Worship, as seen in the previous posts, is an encounter with God that is special and intimate were we bring ourselves before God and worship him for who he is because he is God.
Worship is a combination of heart and action. It is a heart of knowing who I am before God and who he is and his desire for me to worship him because he is the ONLY GOD. The actions are the expressions of worship and scripture give us many different expressions of worship.

We see these found predominantly in the words “Praise”. One thing to note is that when we see the word “Praise” used in scripture it actually has a deeper meaning each time and is translated into some form of action and command. As I have studied it more I believe praise is not a form of worship but is the expression of worship that we as humans express toward God. Here are the first two times we see praised used:
Gen 24:26-27
26 The man bowed low and worshiped the Lord. 27 "Praise the Lord, the God of my master, Abraham," he said. "The Lord has shown unfailing love and faithfulness to my master, for he has led me straight to my master's relatives."


The word worship is the same as seen the first post. This is the intimate, encounter with God as seen also in John 4:23 (The worship The Father seeks). So scripture says he worshiped and then we see the word Praise used – This word reveals how he expressed his worship. This word praise means to bow and take a knee before God.
The other verse were we first see Praise is:
Gen 29:35
35 And she conceived again, and bare a son. And she said, This time will I praise Jehovah. Therefore she called his name Judah. And she left off bearing.

This word has completely different meaning. It is a “reverent act of worship” done with hands thrown in the air or extended in the air, also to shake the hands in the air. Sound familiar at all? Well for me I have seen people worshiping God in this manner since I was a kid. How exciting to see this is one of the earliest expressions of worship we see in the Bible.

I could go on and on exploring every time the word Praise is used in the bible, however, for the sake of time I am going to look at the book of the Bible were we see the word “Praise’ as an act of worship used the most, Psalms.
Here are the different ways praised is used in order as we see in the Book of Psalms:
1 To remember or express memory in a way of honor
2 To make music or play in a group of musicians
3 Throw hands up in reverent worship; shake hands in air
4 A structured song
5 To bless, Salute for honor or kneel to show honor

These are the first 5 found in the first 10 chapters of Psalm. You will also notice as you read Psalms that music is associated closely in the expression of these acts of worship. Music is a powerful tool in which to tunnel these expressions of worship. I believe it is important to show expression and to have a variety of expressions in our worship of God. But wow… there is so much more in just this study of our expression of worship to God. My desire was to challenge me and now maybe challenge you in your view of worship and even how you express your worship toward God. I heard a man say one time that we have to look at the Bible since the Bible is were God reveals his heart. How would you like to have spent your entire life making Carrot Cake for God only to find out he preferred Chocolate. The challenge is to explore what God reveals in his word how he desires to see us worship Him.

No comments: