Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Song That I Sing

These are the lyrics to a song I wrote a few years ago. This song seems to echo in my heart often as I think about the meaning; what it meant to me when I wrote it and how the true it is still in my life today. I wrote from a place of feeling desperation and helplessness. Feeling that I can’t be what I am supposed to be. That I am not good enough and can’t seem to get things in order enough for people to see me for who I believed God was calling me to be. But even then I knew I couldn’t stop pursing what my hearts longed for and for what I believed passionately God had called me to.

Well, I thought I would post this and ask for thoughts. I am curious if you find meaning in this song. If it is just something that holds meaning to me and is a mess of jumbled words to the rest of us then I am cool with that. It is definitely not my most grammar friendly song.

So I am just throwing this out there and seeing what people think. Do you find meaning in the words? If so what is the meaning that speaks to you? Thanks for taking a few minutes to read, and even respond if you have a chance or thoughts on the song.
God bless!

The Song That I Sing

Here I stand again and again
Singing out that same old tune
To many words for me to recount
Yet we all can sing it to
So close you eyes and sing for the time is coming near
When what we sing will be called to be true
Can we stand on the song we've all sung
Or will the truth break us in two

I can’t seem to stop
For the words have become my life song
I know I know all there is to know
About the songs that I’ve sung
But if life must be the same as I’m singing then I’m afraid
That I won’t be all that I sing

I have sung to many things
To try to keep them all in tune
And here I am with more songs to sing
But the guilt creeps over me
But if I stop singing I know that my life
Would not be the right song
But what if my song does not sing
The way I know it should go

So I can’t bare to sing
Theses truths I’ve sung anymore
All the things I sang
I have now been called to hold
Is it even possible for me to carry this tune
But this song is what I know I should do


11 comments:

Pastor David Holt said...

I like the honesty and heart cry of this song. I would love to see mention made of Christ's sufficiency to transfrom us from the inside out and how His faithfulness is what we cling to when we feel inadequate.

Beth Miller said...

David, thank you for sharing your song! I've heard it said before that songs are meant to be shared, and I appreciate the honesty because I know the place in your heart this comes from! I think the sentiment is one that many people, including myself, can relate to. I would love to hear it with music :-) Okay, so for a little constructive feedback, have you thought of substituting another word for "song" and "sung"? For example, melody/melodies, lyrics, choruses, verses ("here I am with more verses/choruses to sing") Or, "Yet we all can sing it too" can be "Yet we can all join it too". As the reader/listener, I love the analogy, and I think it could be even better if you could find some word or phrase substitutions so "song" doesn't get overused (but only if you feel right about it, sometimes the best word choice is the one that feels the best for you!) Personally, I find lyric writing to be incredibly challenging, sometimes I agonize over what are the best words to say exactly what I want, usually there's a feeling of rightness when I know I have it. Recently, I was working on a song about my grandfather, and I wanted to capture the idea that I always heard about how he played the piano really well, and I toyed with it until I came up with the line "I hear stories of the melodies you sprinkle on the black and white keys". Keep writing songs, David!!

David Baxley said...

Beth thanks and I have to say... I love that last line you said about the song you wrote: "I hear stories of the melodies you sprinkle on the black and white keys". That is nice. Very inspiring!

I have always thought the same. The overuse of the words song and sing. I have never gone back to it to much to see what else can be used in the song. Good thoughts. My wife Amy has said some similar things when I have played it randomly. I appreciate it. I think I will come back to it and see what might help articulate the message more.

David Baxley said...

David thanks for the first comment! I like the aspect of clinging to Christ. Maybe it can be said, in this song,
"Clinging to the One who wrote all my songs and is waiting to write more to"

or something like that. I thing editing that 2nd chorus stanza for something like that could work.

Also though I like having songs that don't provide the answer. Art, to me, is as much about the reality of what we feel when we fail and not being able to see the answer in that moment. I think Christian music today be all about answers without really dealing with questions and struggles that are a part of the christian life. Secular music does it so well and christian artists are starting to get it. A good example to me about this is the band Life House from their first debut album. Check it out. (There are also many more out there that are even better)

Its not always about saying "Christ" as it is pointing to Savior who longs for me. Just thoughts...

Paul Peterson said...

Great stuff Bax! I love the feeling! Keep writing Dude!

David Baxley said...

Thanks Paul!

David Best said...

This part resonates with me

"I have sung too many things
To try to keep them all in tune"

Like jazz, I think that truth is often found in the harmony of ideas which at first glance don't seem to be "in tune"

David Baxley said...

It is also the reality that it is impossible to not be what many people define as a "hypocrite". There is so much we should strive to be and we all know what it is and even say what we should do but we can never keep up with everything we have said. I don't believe that is hypocrisy but is just being human and fallen.

It is the easy jump people make to calling out "hypocrite", both Christians and non, that bothers me the most. To expect perfection from our human pears is just as foolish as someone who thinks they can keep up with everything they know is right for them to do.

Amy Baxley said...

Hey Babe, I gave you "constructive" feedback years ago, but never told you that I really do appreciate your heart behind the song. The fact that it's resurfacing means that it is from a very sincere place and that's the best place to write from. I have to agree with David Best on the "I have sung too many things to try to keep them all in tune." I like that and think that it's very "real". Love you : ) Sorry I haven't been a faithful "blogger" yet.

David Baxley said...

Ahh babe... you made me smile really big!

Jennie said...

Really love the song (Wishing I could hear it too!)

The English grammarian in me wishes to help you with a few spelling/typos!:
to==>too

Too many words for me to recount
Yet we all can sing it too
...
I have sung too many things