Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Satisfaction In Your Calling


1 Samuel 18:7
This was their song: “Saul has killed his thousands, and David his ten thousands!”
I was thinking about this verse the other day and, although I have read it several times over the years, I had not quite thought about what it meant. The context of this verse is that David is coming into the city with King Saul. David had been put in charge of the army by King Saul and was leading the military campaigns. As Saul and the army was returning from a victorious battle it says that the women of city began to sing:
“Saul has killed his thousands and David his ten thousands”.
The next verse says that this made King Saul very angry. Why was Saul so angry? He was the king! The people where celebrating his return and victory. Giving him credit for being a war hero as their King that had defeated their enemies, while also celebrating David’s role in it. But yet it says Saul was angry at David for doing exactly what Saul had asked David to do as the leader of the army.  Saul became jealous of the call David had on his life, despite the incredible call King Saul had on his life. Yes David was a war hero but Saul was king. He was the ruler. God had anointed and made him, Saul, king. What a calling, what a privilege!
See, when David was praised for fulfilling God’s call in his life, Saul became jealous. He didn’t celebrate God’s calling on his life being fulfilled in that same victory. When we take our eyes off of the calling God has on us and we begin to compare ourselves to others and their calling, we will inevitably react as Saul did. Yet God was not calling Saul to be the warrior like he did David. Saul was called to be king. But because he took his eyes off of that calling in jealously, he began to fail at his calling that God had given him (as we begin to see in the following verses).
Let this be a challenge to us to stay focused on what God has gifted and called us to do for his kingdom.Comparing ourselves to others must not distract us. God wants our obedience to His calling on us, not his calling on others. He made you for your calling, and that’s what he wants to see you do so you can be called his “Good and faithful servant”.

1 comment:

David Best said...

Good words!

I was reflecting on this topic last week as I was preparing my message for children's church for four and five and six-year-olds.

I was looking at it this way: If you feel called to love, to pastor, or to lead worship vocationally, just do it, and let God work out the details in his own time.

Several times I have heard people comment that they feel a sense of calling, but are not seeing the doors open up for vocational ministry. Or they will say things like, "I'm so jealous that you get to do this full time."

Part of me completely understands. Those comments can be simply part of an honest conversation among friends, and in the right time and place there is nothing wrong with venting.

BUT

On the other hand. Just do it. Live out your calling. I mean, yes, be discerning, you may be mistaken. Ability is a key indicator. But using my self as an example, if I feel a sense of calling to be a pastor, and I do, I need to recognize the amazing blessing that it is to have an opportunity to pastor the smallest and most vulnerable among us. If I can't embrace that, I'm not qualified to ask for or accept a pay check. (not that is has to be children per se, not everyone is a kid person, and that is ok) but DO live out the calling where the opportunity arises.

If there is a sense of calling, and importantly, if there is a sense of confirmation from the community, than just do it. There are opportunities to be had if we are willing to humble ourselves and accept what is right in front of us.

In my own life, I have been there. I have felt called, attended seminary, accepted the pay check, etc... I have worn the hat and got the t-shirt. But I could not be happier in my present roll pursuing a different vocation. Officially I am no longer a pastor, but I am continuing to embrace a sense of calling in everything I do, in the variety of rolls I play. (student, law clerk, children's church volunteer...) In every capacity I get to live out the calling God has given me for today. Not someone else's call, and not my calling yesterday.