Friday, August 18, 2006

“Strange Sight” – Confirmation After

Ex 3:10-12

10 So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt."

11 But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"

12 And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain."

NIV

So first God gets our attention and then we have are human moments of fear. Then we are confronted with the choice, do we go or not? Do we do whatever we think God is telling us to do? Again I do understand how scary this is, I have fear myself but I have seen that fear diminish a lot over the years and at the end of this I will tell you why, but back to Moses. So God says “Go Now” but Moses still was a little unsure (as we all are). And then God did something that surprised me, he gave Moses a sign so that Moses would know that it was God (yeah, we all want that) but Moses would not see that sign until AFTER he had obeyed. (Wait a minute!) The thing is even though God does know are frailty and fear he still wants us to act by faith, not by sight. Now we can see times in the Bible were God gave signs before to those he was calling to something but following all of those there was still the moment when they had to act on faith. To be a Christ follower we must be willing to hear God’s voice and obey by faith, even when we are not sure. Jesus said in John 10:27 “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” Being a follower of Jesus is listening to the voice of God, letting him speak and acting, by faith, to see God do great things in us and through us. But we have a choice. Moses could have said “If you don’t give me the sign now then I won’t go”. God would have still done what He wanted but Moses might not have been the man.

I said I would tell you why I saw my fear diminish. Well it was because when I heard God, or thought I heard God. I started to step out and act on what I thought God was telling me. In that process I learned to know not only that God DOES speak but what his voice sounds like. It was a process and God used that “strange sight” many times to get my attention. But I learned to listen, and then learned to obey. If we choose to think God does not speak and we can just do whatever as long has it is not sin then I believe we will miss out on the great things God has for us. When God chooses me I want to GO, I don’t want my fear of the unknown or fear of even listening to Him speaking to stop me from being who God created me to be in everything He calls me to.

1 comment:

David Best said...

I almost always see the hand of God after, not before I make a decesion. For me it is definately a walk by faith.